Staying in good physical shape is no easy feat, but it’s imperative for our overall health. The phrase use it or lose it rings true in terms of maintaining our flexibility, strength, endurance, and balance. Here are five tips to be more intentional about staying in shape this year.
- Don’t let your busy schedule be an excuse. Find ways to fit exercise into your daily routine. You’ll be more likely to stick with it if you pre-define and reserve the most convenient time each day to work out. Try to commit to this plan for three weeks until it becomes a habit.
- Be sure to include both strength and cardiovascular training. Always start slow and gradually work your way up. For strength, you can begin with bodyweight exercises or resistance bands and advance to using weights. For cardiovascular training, aim for 20-30 minutes each day. Aerobic exercise can be as simple as a brisk walk around the neighborhood.
- Stretch daily to avoid loss of flexibility and mobility. Incorporate stretching before your daily workout to help your muscles warm up and reduce the chance of injury.
- Don’t underestimate the power of a healthy, balanced diet. Fueling your body with the optimal nutrients will give you more energy for exercise and can even help prevent inflammation.
- Remember that something is always better than nothing. You may not be able to pump out as many reps or have the endurance you once did, but improving a little each day is an accomplishment and a step in the right direction.
Not everyone can expect to become an elite athlete, but we all can work to improve little-by-little each day. We wish you well in your journey to make 2021 a very Healthy and Happy year!